If you’re wanting to move to LA to seek fame and glory on the big screen, you’re going to want to apply for the Australians in Film Heath Ledger Scholarship.
The Scholarship, which continues the legacy of everyone’s favourite Aussie actor – Heath Ledger – is in its ninth year and is exactly what you need if you’re a young actor looking to catch your big break in LA. It’ll help you out with the move, give you a living allowance and a tonne of other things you need once you’re settled like acting classes and personal mentoring. It’s basically everything you’ll need to get you over there and start up your acting career in LA.
The scholarship is supported by big guns like Screenwise (which is Australia’s Leading Film and TV School for Actors, so basically the best of the best if you want to get into the acting industry) so there’s an ace prize up for grabs. It includes:
- Two return Qantas economy airfares from Australia to Los Angeles
- Visit California’s 7 Day Californian trip
- US$10,000 towards a living allowance in Los Angeles
- US$5,000 rent assistance in Los Angeles
- US$1,000 ride-sharing app credit to be used in Los Angeles
- Group Acting classes and personal coaching from Lisa Robertson Studio and Nancy Banks Studio
- Immigration services from Kate Raynor & Associates
- Business management and US/Australian taxation advice from Protea Group International
- Kitchen appliance package, including Juice Fountain Elite, Barista Express, Smart Oven Pro and Boss Blender from Breville
- Yoga classes from YogaWorks
- Gym classes from Training Mate
- VIP tickets to Palm Springs International Film Festival & AFI Fest
- AiF membership, which includes access to the creative workspaces, Charlie’s + Creative Collective at Raleigh Studios
- Personal mentoring by Heath Ledger Scholarship Chair Felicity Price and Committee Member Damon Herriman
- Other vouchers from Alfred’s Coffee, The Den Meditation and Cinespia, plus more to be announced
The winner will show initiative and exceptional talent, demonstrate their commitment to excellence and demonstrate their passion for work with potential to be outstanding in an international context. Past winners have been actors like Ashleigh Cummings, Ryan Corr and Anna McGahan- so you need to be at the top of your acting game to be in it to win it.
With past judges being influential actors, casting agency and industry execs like Toni Collette, Jude Law, Colin Farrell, Joseph Middleton, Phillip Noyce and Greg Silverman, you’re going to want to impress with your application. While applications for 2018 aren’t open yet, you can sign up to receive updates here and start getting your application together to make sure it’s perfect.
If you’re aspiring towards becoming an actor but haven’t got the experience under your belt for a scholarship like this just yet, don’t sweat it. Our mates over at Screenwise – Australia’s Leading Film & TV School for Actors – have you covered with their Diploma of Screen Acting. It’s a two-year, full-time screen acting course where you will gain the best and most reliable understanding of the film and TV industry you’ll need, plus you’ll be taught by some amazing Aussie actors (the CEO is Denise Roberts, who has starred in the likes of Schapelle, Packed to the Rafters and Wonderland, AND is even on the judging panel for the International Emmy Awards).