Photo by Ken Lawrence.
China is a fascinating country. It’s been the most populated place on earth since 1960 and now almost 20% of the world’s people live there. It’s got a rich history, amazing cuisine and a whole bunch of rapidly growing cities. All these factors make it a super interesting destination to go and teach English for your gap year.
So let’s talk about the Paid TESOL Placement in China. It’s a program in which you gain the qualifications and confidence to teach English abroad while making money and having adventures along the way. Whether you think you might want to start a career teaching English overseas or you’re just keen for an adventure with a bit of purpose, this opportunity is boss. It’s going to look good on your resume, get you certified to Teach English as a Second Language (TESOL) and teach you a little bit of Mandarin Chinese.
The program costs $3995 and includes 5 months of accommodation and meals, TESOL training, airport transfer, daytrips and activities, Mandarin Chines lessons and access to a local support team 24/7. In addition, you will earn approximately $2300 during your placement, which should cover most of your living expenses. And if you enjoy it enough, you can continue for a second semester (there is no fee for this, just the cost of renewing your visa).
There is an application process, but most people get accepted. You just have to be over 18, a native English speaker, have completed high school, no visible tattoos or piercings and no criminal record. Pretty simple stuff.
Here’s the key info:
- Start Dates: 11th February 2018 (semester 1) and 14th August (semester 2) 2018.
- Duration: 5 months.
- Price: AU$3,995 plus USD$385 for official visa-support docs.
- Experience / Qualifications: None required, must be native/fluent English speaker.
- Minimum Age: 18.
- Fly in and out of: Beijing (BJS).
- What’s included: 4½ months paid teaching placement, 5 months accommodation, 5 months meals (M-F), TESOL training course with certification, Mandarin Chinese lessons, lots of daytrips and activities, airport meet-and-greet, transfers to and from placement location, local 24/7 support team.
- What’s not included: Flights, travel insurance, visa fee (approx. USD$140).
- Accommodation: Twin-share rooms.
- Food: All meals provided Mondays to Fridays.
To apply, check out this page on our Gap Year site.