Medical Laboratory Scientists conduct medical laboratory tests to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease.
Common tasks include:
- preparing tissue sections for microscopic examination
- examining and analysing samples to study the effects of microbial infections
- analysing samples of body tissue and fluids to develop techniques to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases
A Bachelor Degree or higher is required and nearly all workers have a university degree. Sometimes relevant experience or on-the-job training is also needed.
Top skills required:
- Critical Thinking - Thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem.
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Active Listening - Listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions.
- Reading Comprehension - Reading work related information.
- Writing - Writing things for co-workers or customers.