Canvas and Leather Goods Makers make and repair boots, shoes, leather goods, canvas and sailcloth articles, and related products.
Common tasks include:
- cutting and preparing canvas, leather and sailcloth to design specifications, patterns and drawings
- sewing, gluing and riveting sections of canvas together to make articles such as awnings, tents, tarpaulins and horse rugs
- attaching grommets, fastenings and other fittings to canvas goods
A Certificate III including at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or a Certificate IV, or at least 3 years of relevant experience, is usually needed. Most workers have not completed any post school qualifications (that is, they have finished either Year 10, 11 or 12 only). Sometimes experience or on-the-job training is needed in addition to a qualification.
Top skills required:
- Active Listening - Listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions.
- Critical Thinking - Thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem.
- Speaking - Talking to others.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Figuring out the pros and cons of different options and choosing the best one.
- Monitoring - Keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements.