Industrial Spraypainters operate spray painting equipment to paint and apply other industrial coatings to manufactured items (Vehicle Painters are shown separately).
Common tasks include:
- grinding, sanding and cleaning surfaces of items to be painted
- loading paint, oil, lacquer, varnish and rustproofing agents into spray equipment
- connecting hoses to spray equipment and adjusting spray nozzles to required pressure
A Certificate II or III, or at least 1 year of relevant experience, is usually needed to work in this job. Even with a qualification, sometimes experience or on-the-job training is necessary.
Top skills required:
- Active Listening - Listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions.
- Critical Thinking - Thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem.
- Social Perceptiveness - Understanding why people react the way they do.
- Time Management - Managing your own and other peoples' time to get work done.
- Coordination - Changing what is done based on other people's actions.